2. Miller also played opposite Benedict Cumberbatch, who plays Holmes in the BBC’s current Sherlock series, in a stage version of Frankenstein. (Miller and Cumberbatch alternated as Dr. Frankenstein and the monster. They were jointly awarded Best Actor trophies by the Evening Standard Theatre Awards and the Olivier Awards.)
3. He was married to Angelina Jolie in the late 1990s. (So much he has in common with Brad Pitt!)
4. As a child in 1982, he appeared (uncredited) in a Doctor Who serial (Kinda, starring lovely 5th Doctor Peter Davison).
5. Miller is a marathon runner and has run in both the New York City Marathon (2010) and the London Marathon (2008). (My running usually consists of a series of trips from the chair to the refrigerator.)
6. Miller’s grandfather was Bernard Lee, who played “M” in the first 11 James Bond movies; Miller himself was considered for the role of Bond, but Daniel Craig was chosen instead.
7. The actor played the evil Jordan Chase in the fifth season of the TV series Dexter. (Creepily good.)
8. Miller first gained recognition for his performance (and his bleached-blonde-for-the-film hair) as Simon “Sick Boy” Williamson in the film Trainspotting.
9. He is the godfather of Jude Law’s eldest son, Rafferty. (Shouldn’t celebrities offer their godparent status to the non-famous instead of hogging it all for themselves?)
10. He’s off to a pretty darn good start on Elementary, despite my pre-series-debut conviction that anyone taking on the role would have to suffer by comparison to Cumberbatch’s take on Holmes. (I still prefer Cumberbatch, but Miller is really good.)