December 5, 2012
Other entertainment, Television
child stars, comedy, Donna Reed, Paul Petersen, TV
1. Born September 23, 1945, Paul Petersen started out at age ten as a Mousketeer on The Mickey Mouse Club. (He was fired – by Disney himself – apparently for punching a casting director who kept calling him “mouse.”)
2. He gained much more attention playing Donna Reed’s son, Jeff, from 1958-1966 on The Donna Reed Show. More
December 1, 2012
animation, cartoon, comedy, Grampa, Simpsons, TV
1. Grampa Simpson’s real name is Abraham J. Simpson. (What does the J stand for? Dunno. And I doubt if Grampa does either.)
2. He is a veteran of both World War I and World War II. (Don’t ask how. This is a cartoon.) More
November 7, 2012
drama, dystopia, science fiction, TV
1. The NBC series was created by Eric Kripke, who earlier created Supernatural.
2. It’s a dystopian science fiction series, set 15 years in the future, in which electronic technology is no longer feasible. (Actually, it’s said by one character that physics has “gone insane.”) More
October 20, 2012
CBS, drama, Elementary, Sherlock Holmes, TV
1. The actor, who was born November 15, 1972, plays an updated Sherlock Holmes in the CBS series Elementary, opposite Lucy Liu’s Dr. Joan Watson.
2. Miller also played opposite Benedict Cumberbatch, who plays Holmes in the BBC’s current Sherlock series, in a stage version of Frankenstein. (Miller and Cumberbatch alternated as Dr. Frankenstein and the monster. They were jointly awarded Best Actor trophies by the Evening Standard Theatre Awards and the Olivier Awards.) More
October 13, 2012
Arrow, DC Comics, drama, Green Arrow, superheroes, TV
1. It is drawn from tales of the DC Comics character Green Arrow.
2. Arrow’s creators, Andrew Kreisberg, Greg Berlanti and Marc Guggenheim, have been involved separately on such TV series as Justice League, Fringe, The Simpsons, Eli Stone, The Vampire Diaries, Everwood and No Ordinary Family and the film Green Lantern. (I acknowledge that I am the only person in America who liked the Green Lantern movie. Sue me!) More
October 10, 2012
BBC America, Big Bang Theory, TV
1. This host of the TV show and podcast The Nerdist was born November 23, 1971.
2. His father, Billy Hardwick, was a professional bowler and the first person to win the PBA (Professional Bowlers Association) triple crown and was named PBA Player of the Year twice. (I, on the other hand, would consider it a victory if when I bowled, I kept the ball in my own lane rather than in my neighbor’s.) More
October 6, 2012
actors, Big Bang Theory, CBS, comedy, scientist, sitcom, TV
1. The Big Bang Theory’s neurobiologist Amy Farrah Fowler is played by Mayim Bialak, who is herself a neuroscientist. (Sometimes casting is easy, right?)
2. Dr. Fowler is paired in a relationship with Dr. Sheldon Cooper on the show, although Cooper has been loath to acknowledge her as his “girl friend.” (Of course, Sheldon is loath to acknowledge many things.) More
October 3, 2012
Batman, DC Comics, superheroes
1. The Riddler’s real name originally was Edward Nigma. (E. Nigma, get it?) In more recent reboots, it has been changed to Edward Nashton. Don’t ask me why.
2. His shtick, of course, is leaving riddles that are clues to the crimes (or other activities, such as death traps) he is to commit. He’s also partial to puzzles and wordplay. (So am I….Hmmmm…..)
September 27, 2012
1. First fact: this list will most likely be out of date after this Saturday night, when the Angels return to Doctor Who. (Cannot wait.)
2. Also known as the Lonely Assassins, they were created by Steven Moffat in the classic “Blink” episode (part of the Doctor 10 and Martha year of the show).
September 19, 2012
1. As might be guessed by its title, Once Upon a Time deals with characters from children’s stories. (Because bringing together characters from adult stories like The Sound and the Fury, The World According to Garp, The Shining and The Grapes of Wrath would be too freaky.)
2. The series, which premiered October 23, 2011, is set in (the fictional) Storybrooke, ME. The characters have all been brought there because of a curse by an Evil Queen who doesn’t want anyone else to have a happy ending.